Board of Studies, Teaching and Educational Standards news
Who needs to read this notice:
Principals and proprietors of non-government schools
Representatives of systems of non-government schools
Providers and Directors of early childhood education centres (‘ECECs’)
Authorised delegates of TAAs for non-government schools and ECECs
Effective from 1 January 2017
The Minister for Education has approved amendments to the Guidelines for the Regulation of Teacher Accreditation Authorities for Non-government Schools and Early Childhood Education Centres (‘the TAA Guidelines’).
The amendments follow the passing of legislation to establish the NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA), including changes to the legislation underpinning teacher accreditation authority (‘TAA’) approval.
The amendments relate to:
- changes regarding the suspension and revocation of teacher accreditation:
- providing that NESA is the only body authorised to decide to suspend or revoke the accreditation of a teacher
- requiring TAAs to notify NESA when grounds exist for suspending or revoking a teacher’s accreditation (sections 2, 4 and 5 of the TAA Guidelines)
- changing references from ‘the BOSTES’ to ‘the Authority’ and other minor edits and clarification (various sections of the TAA Guidelines).
The TAA Guidelines are amended on a transitional basis to encompass the period on and from 1 January 2017 until the NESA Board meets in 2017 and either confirms the amendments or requires changes to be made.
The TAA Guidelines constitute the rules of the BOSTES which, under legislated savings and transitional arrangements, continue to apply when NESA commences on 1 January 2017.
The amended TAA Guidelines are available to download from the Guidelines for the Regulation of Teacher Accreditation Authorities for Non-government Schools and Early Childhood Education Centres webpage.
Please note that the web version of the TAA Guidelines is the most up-to-date version at any time.
The following documents are also available to download:
- Tracked changes of the amended TAA Guidelines
- Proforma for Document Audit for Teacher Accreditation Authorities
For more information, contact:
Senior Board Inspector, School Registration and Accreditation Standards
(02) 9367 8170