Board of Studies, Teaching and Educational Standards news
Last minute bookings are available through BOSTES for events for Year 9-12 students at the Sydney Writers' Festival on Monday May 16.
BOSTES is partnering for the first time with Australia's biggest literary celebration to present a full day of events for school students delivered by the biggest stars of the 2016 Festival. Acclaimed writers and thinkers speak on a wide range of subjects, all linked to the school curriculum, ranging from Shakespeare's sonnets to modern Australia to climate change.
Schools are encouraged to take advantage of this exciting new initiative if they can. Please contact email@example.com to make a last minute booking.
Two streams of specialist events will run from 10am-2pm on Monday 16 May in the heart of the festival precinct in Walsh Bay.
- Author Tom Keneally
- Singer-songwriter Paul Kelly
- Olympian Liesel Jones
- Journalist and Wiradjuri man Stan Grant
- Nobel Prize-winning scientist Peter Doherty
- Academy award-winning filmmaker Eva Orner
- Author Alice Pung
This new program is designed to both inspire and stimulate students with knowledge and insight beyond the normal classroom experience. It relates to English, History, Science, Economics and Business, Civics and Citizenship, and PDHPE. For example:
- Tom Keneally, one of Australia’s most loved writers, looks at the impact of World War One in shaping modern Australia
- Futurist Richard Watson and economics commentator David Uren analyse what it takes for governments and businesses to remain competitive in a global market
Visit the Sydney Writers' Festival website to see the full program.
The festival also has a series of interesting events in May for students as part of its Secondary School Days program.
Other events that might be of interest to teachers include:
- Janna Levin, Professor of Physics and Astronomy at Columbia University, interviewed by Adam Spencer on Thursday 19 May
- Night of the Nerds, hosted by Adam Spencer, featuring Nobel-winning scientist Peter Doherty among others also on Thursday 19 May
- David Gonski, interviewed about his recent collection of speeches I gave a Gonski on Friday 20 May.
Bookings for these events can be made via the Festival Nights page on the website.
For more information, contact:
Strategic and External Relations
(02) 9367 8331