Board of Studies, Teaching and Educational Standards news
The NSW Minister for Education, the Hon. Adrian Piccoli MP, has announced he will introduce legislation to create the Record of School Achievement - the RoSA - for students leaving school prior to receiving their HSC.
Details of the RoSA have been developed as part of a lengthy consultation process with teachers and the broader community and is consistent with the measures outlined previously including:
- The RoSA will provide grades for all completed courses from Year 10 through to the point a student leaves school.
- The RoSA will use assessment by teachers as the basis for grades.
- The Board of Studies NSW will provide teachers with information, online resources and workshops to support professional judgement and to monitor and moderate grades.
- From next year, students will be offered optional, online literacy and numeracy tests. Schools will receive more details on these tests, and how they will be implemented, throughout 2012.
- The Board of Studies NSW will also pilot an optional, online tool for students to record extra-curricular achievements.
- Students will be able to view and download a copy of their transcript of study at any time.
The Board will continue to provide updates on the implementation of the RoSA throughout 2012. Teachers and principals should continue to manage their Year 10 students using the usual processes.