Board of Studies, Teaching and Educational Standards news
For students, the start of each school year is filled with anticipation and excitement. In this atmosphere of classroom expectation there are a range of strategies that could assist teachers to maximise student learning:
- Outline for the students the outcomes expected for each subject Key Learning Area. The outcomes can be found at: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/k-6/
- Ensure students understand the expected standard of work. High expectations support better learning outcomes.
- Build student excitement by outlining future directions, class projects and excursions indicating your preparedness for the term ahead.
- Be familiar with and enthusiastic about the school’s scope and sequences and ensure consistent understanding across classes in terms of the content to be taught. Sample scope and sequences can be found at: http://syllabus.bostes.nsw.edu.au/english/english-k10/programming/
• Become familiar with Program Builder and sample units of work http://syllabus.bostes.nsw.edu.au/mathematics/mathematics-k10/programming/
General advice on programming, relating to all syllabuses can also be accessed on the BOSTES website:
- Planning programming
- Designing programming
- Differentiated programming
- Sharing learning and assessment intentions
- Integrating information and communications technology
- Advice on scope and sequences
- Advice on sample units
Preparation and planning for intended student learning, effective teaching and learning strategies and assessment, is fundamental to student success.
For more information, contact:
Inspector, Primary Education
(02) 9367 8191