Board of Studies, Teaching and Educational Standards news
The arrival of summer is a timely opportunity to remind students of the importance of personal safety in and around water.
The mandatory PDHPE curriculum provides a comprehensive approach to water safety. Students have the opportunity to learn about aquatic hazards, water safety strategies and emergency response procedures.
In PDHPE K-6 students explore:
- water confidence familiarisation
- water safety and rescue strategies
- safe places to swim and play
- water survival skills
- emergency procedures, eg basic first aid, dial 000
- emergency action plans.
In PDHPE 7-10 students explore:
- aquatics activities such as water safety skills, water games and sports
- how to participate safely in movement activities
- strategies to minimise harm in water environments
- basic first aid procedures and management, eg DRSABCD
- lifelong physical activities.
The PDHPE curriculum develops the knowledge, understanding and skills students need to support themselves and others to stay safe. This includes the skills necessary for safe and rewarding participation in aquatic activities.
For more information relating to water safety, visit the following websites:
- Royal Lifesaving Society
- Kids Alive
- Australian Water Safety Council
- Surf Lifesaving NSW
- Beach Safe
- Surf Hero
- Triple Zero
For more information, contact:
Senior Curriculum Officer, PDHPE